Cocktail Glassware Caring Tips You Need To Know
If you are a home bartender or a cocktail enthusiast, you know cocktail glasses are a must-have to properly enjoy a cocktail. The right cocktail glassware makes all the difference. Apart from its aesthetic appeal, it also plays a huge role in preserving the flavours and aromas of cocktails. That's why each type of cocktail has its own cocktail glass to sip it in. For example, an old fashioned should be served in a rocks glass, a martini in a martini glass, a gin and tonic in a Copa glass or a tall glass, and so on. If you have a significant collection of cocktail glasses, you must know how to care for them in order for them to last.
Essential Guide to Caring for Your Cocktail Glassware
Tips for Cleaning Your Cocktail Glassware
Cleaning cocktail glasses requires time, effort and lots of care. Here are a few tips you may find useful in cleaning them:
1. Washing your glasses: When it comes to cleaning your cocktail glassware, we advocate handwashing rather than dishwashing. When you wash your cocktail glasses in a dishwasher, you expose them to high temperatures and harsh chemicals. They may also come into abrasive contact with other items in the dishwasher, which could damage your cocktail glasses. If using a dishwasher, only dishwasher-safe glassware should be used. So, the best way to clean your cocktail glasses is to gently handwash and thoroughly clean them.
2. Use mild washing soap and warm water: If you want to clean your cocktail glassware effectively use mild dish soap and warm water. Avoid strong detergents or sharp cleaning brushes. While strong detergents might leave residue, sharp cleaning brushes may scratch the surface of the glass. Scrub the glass gently with a soft sponge or towel to clean it nicely. While cleaning, be mindful of any stains or residue.
3. Rinse thoroughly and air dry: After cleaning the cocktail glasses, thoroughly rinse them to get rid of any soap residue. These residues, if not completely removed, might affect the flavour and aroma of your drinks. So make sure to fully rinse. After rinsing the cocktail glasses, let them air dry upside down on a clean, lint-free cloth. This helps glassware to dry naturally without leaving water stains.
4. Handle cocktail glasses with care: Be mindful while washing and handling your cocktail glasses. Don't apply too much pressure to the glass, especially around delicate areas like the rim and stem. Hold the glass firmly but softly. This reduces the possibility of an unintentional drop or breaking.
5. Polish the glassware for a sparkling finish: If you want to give your cocktail glassware a sparkling finish, consider polishing it with a lint-free cloth. Polishing your glasses helps remove any water spots or fingerprints, leaving your glassware crystal clear and ready for the next cocktail served.
Storing Your Cocktail Glassware
Storing your cocktail glassware the right way is just as important as cleaning them properly. We have a few tips on how you can store them for maximum durability:
1. Choose a Safe and Dust-Free Storage Space: By storing your cocktail glassware properly, you are protecting them from damage. Select a safe and dust-free space to store your glasses. It has to be away from the way, to avoid any accidental breakage. Avoid stacking them directly on top of each to prevent chipping or scratching. Use glass racks, cabinet shelves or individual glass storage containers to keep each piece safe and secure.
2. Avoid keeping it close to high-temperature: Cocktail glassware can be susceptible to extreme temperatures, therefore it is critical to prevent exposing it to unexpected temperature changes. Cocktail glasses should not be stored in areas near heat sources or in direct sunlight. Avoid places where temperatures can fluctuate, such as ovens or windows. Glass may expand or shrink when exposed to extreme temperatures, resulting in cracks or shattering.
If you want your cocktail glassware to last a long time, you must properly care for and maintain it. With these simple tips, you will be able to clean your glasses effectively, carefully store them, and enjoy your favourite cocktails in style.