Scotch Whisky Types You Need To Know
According to its roots in Gaelic, Scotch whisky is frequently referred to as the "water of life," and is more than simply a beverage—it's a sip through centuries of heritage, expert workmanship, and unmatched flavour. Two distinct subcategories of Scotch whisky stand out: Single Malt and Blended Scotch. Even though they are separate, these categories have a rich history and offer a wide variety of flavours. We'll delve into the nuances of Single Malt and Blended Scotch whisky in this comprehensive guide, examine their distinctive qualities, and even create a few extraordinary Scotch whisky cocktail recipes to heighten your appreciation of this liquid gold.
Types Of Scotch Whisky
1. Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Single Malt Scotch is produced only from malted barley at a single distillery. Each distillery produces flavours that are unique based on its location, water source, and distillation methods. Single malts are prized for their distinctiveness and rich flavour.
2. Blended Scotch Whisky
On the other hand, blended Scotch whisky is a masterpiece of the mixing technique. To create a harmonic and well-balanced flavour profile, it combines malt and grain whiskies from several distilleries. The great variety of flavours and approachability of blends, which are frequently created by expert master blenders, are revered qualities.
We recommend Johnnie Walker Black Label Blended Scotch Whisky or the J & B Rare Blended Scotch Whisky for a premium tasting experience.
Scotch Whisky Cocktail Recipes
3. Old Fashioned
A whisky cocktail recipe that highlights the smooth and rich character of the J & B Rare Blended Scotch Whisky, all done in a manner that honours the legacy of the Scotch whisky brand.
- 45 ml J & B Rare Blended Scotch Whisky
- 1 sugar cube
- 2-3 dashes of Angostura bitters
- Orange twist (for garnish)
- Ice cubes
- Place the sugar cube in a glass and saturate it with Angostura bitters.
- Muddle the sugar cube to dissolve it into the bitters.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes and pour in J & B Rare Blended Scotch Whisky.
- Stir gently to combine the ingredients.
- Induce the oils from an orange twist it over the glass and drop it in. Serve and savour!
4. Ginger Highball
A signature recipe with the zest zing of ginger engulfed in the vanilla and smoky notes of Johnnie Walker Black Label Blended Scotch Whisky.
- 50 ml Johnnie Walker Black Label Blended Scotch Whisky
- 150 ml ginger ale
- Ice cubes
- Lemon wedge for garnish
- Pour 50 ml of Johnnie Walker Black Label Whisky into a glass filled with ice.
- Top it up with ginger ale and stir with a bar spoon to mix the ingredients together.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge on the rim and serve!